Thursday, 30 August 2012

Trego takes game towards draw

The LVCC Division One match between Somerset and Surrey looks like ending in a draw, after a powerful half century from Peter Trego this afternoon.

After all of yesterday's play was washed out, Surrey had to pick up early wickets to try and force a win in what is now a 3 day game. Play was delayed until 11.40 due to a wet outfield and once they got underway, the Somerset batsman started comfortably.

Lewis and Meaker couldn't find a consistent line and length, and Batty ringed the changes throughout the morning interval. Hildreth was batting in his usual positive manner and he and Jones took their side to Lunch without losing a further wicket, on 151-2.

But straight after the break, Murali Kartik got the wicket we desperately needed, when he trapped the impressive Hildreth LBW for 85. The slow left armer then got rid of the other set batsman, Jones, followed by England batsman Buttler, both leg before, as the Indian was getting fired up after lunch.

He was in the action again when he controversially ran out Barrow as he was backing up. A dismissal that didn't go down well with the opposition's players and supporters, and something you don't see very often. But it was given out by the umpires, and it was a sloppy bit of cricket from Barrow to be so far down before Kartik released the ball.

If Surrey thought they would just roll the hosts over, then they were mistaken, as Peter Trego settled into his usual attacking mode, launching Kartik for two sixes, bringing up his half century before tea. We did make the breakthrough in the penultimate over before the break when Thomas was adjudged LBW to give Kartik his 4th wicket. Somerset 258-7, and slowly taking the game away from us.

The new ball was taken shortly after the break and it made an immediate impact when Meaker had Dockrell caught behind. Trego's superb innings came to an end a few overs later, when Meaker picked up his 3rd wicket, bowling the all rounder for 92. Meaker finished off the innings when he had Kirby caught behind and Somerset had been bowled out for 294, a lead of 23 for us.

We had to bat out 20 overs in the final session of the day, and Burns and Ansari started watchfully, but capitalised on the odd bad delivery from the hosts attack, with Burns the aggressor of the pair. The 50 partnership was brought up inside 14 overs, and they went to the close on 58-0.

So it looks like this game will end in a draw, which is disappointing after the good first day we had, but we cannot help the weather. Our players will be annoyed not to make a breakthrough in the morning session, especially with the way the lower order (apart from Trego) were knocked over quite easily. But that's First Division cricket, and if you don't capitalise on opportunities, it will always be hard to find a win.

With Worcestershire and Lancashire looking as if they will get draws at best tomorrow, a draw for us isn't the end of the world, but with Adams thinking that we need one win to confirm our status in this division, and with title challengers Nottinghamshire being one of the two games we have remaining, the final game of the season against Lancashire is becoming more and more vital. 

No comments:

Post a Comment